CURRENT SHOW/ JULY 2019
T H E C A N D I D A T E
The Candidate is the first and last piece of a perpetual cycle of unfolding events outside of a character’s control.
It is a surreal exploration of the family concept in an austere framing. Characters act as family members to fabricate a false reality that is ‘to be consumed as real’, where absurd circumstances are coupled with dark humour.
Here, the strange pathologies of human behaviour are dissected to question the psychological implications of being part of a family. The characters find themselves falling down a symbolic rabbit hole, slowly losing control of events, and culminating in an intoxicated awakening that is a celebration of human affairs and rituals.
The story is a metaphor for a failed socio-political and financial system in which the role of the family is to prepare themselves to form part of an absurd and competitive system, with no way out. Each scene represents a collage of contemporary life mixed with myth, history and society.
The piece is set in various entertainment areas of an old working men’s club in North London. The absence of windows in the space and the 60’s decoration emphasises the fact that the action takes place deep underground and that the prevailing logic of time, space and atmosphere is questioned.
This is a site-specific theatre piece produced by Persona Collective, where community members and local professional artists have been collaborating for the past few months. The work has been developed through role-play, dance theatre, art installations and live music.
SHOW DATES: 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th of July 2019
PRICE: £15/ £11 concessions
TICKETS: Available Here
LOCATION: The Langham Club, 600 Green Lanes, London N8ORY
*Terms & Conditions apply*
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter’s right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.
13. WARNING: This event may potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy. This event also involves the use of glycol based fog machines which may effect people with asthma. Viewer discretion is advised
14. Our venue is accessible however if you have a disability please make us aware in advance and arrive 20 minutes early to the event